As a result, I started making packages without the JDS CBE (Common build environment). But it's worked pretty well. For example, on a standard Solaris 10 installation (03/05 for me, but anything should work):
- PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin export PATH
- Download the pkgbuild tool from http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/.
- Unpack and install with a standard command ./configure &&amp;amp; make && make install
- Grab this spec file for ruby-1.8.5 that I knocked up with the help of Eric's posts and Redhat's docs.
- As a non-root user run pkgtool --download --define="_prefix /opt/mypkgs" build-only ruby.spec
- Wait :)